Thursday, October 7, 2010

i love halloween!

Hello my spooky friends! I have been so bad and abandoned you all! But I am back and just in time for one of my favorite holidays, Halloween. Dressing up and thinking of creative costumes is uber fun for me and I think that staying unique and putting together a costume not only makes you stand out but makes you look sexier or scarier, depending on what you're going for. So today the first costume idea I'll give you gals is the pin up doll look.

I am obessed with pin up dolls because of their glamour, natural beauty and sex appeal so I thought why not become one my inspiration was this look here. So first thing's first, putting together the outfit.

I'm a young stuggling college grad so the cheaper the accessories the better. I had sum high waisted black satin shorts in my closet from Forever 21that I used as my hot pants. Leg Avenue has great (and cheap) thigh highs I got mine in the Haight, in San Francisco for about 10 bucks, they looked like the photo except the back had a line goin down the stocking and cute bows and pearls on the back of the ankles. Now, the corset was a little expensive, but I fell in love with an amazing one from "Piedmont's" (an awesome place to find costumes and accessories it's also in the Haight and is the store with the giant legs in the window) It was about $40 but you can definitely get a cheaper one at Frederick's, Forever 21 or even H&M. I wanted to add a little twist to my costume so I purchased some $5 black long gloves at a thrift store and bought a feux pearl bracelet at Claire's for about $7 bucks. I used some black peep toe Steve Madden shoes I owned and my own garter belt and voila! I have my pin up ensemble.

Now here is a step by step on the hair.

  • I first straightened my hair to make it easier to work with.
  • Then I grabbed a generous portion of the front part of my hair including my bangs. I smoothed it out and at the tip began curling it in, as if I was putting on a hair curler. I kept curling until it looked like I had Betty Page bangs. I pinned within the loop I created. This is a little tricky so it could take a few tries.
  • Once that's done, and hairsprayed, I took portions from both sides of my hair and twisted them and pushed forward and pinned. Use a lot of hair spray and you got yourself a glamorous do!
I used this fabulous how-to from youtube.com to help me out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqTbeASs0h4

Now my favorite part make-up time!
  • Pin up make-up isn't too dramatic so breathe because it was pretty easy =).
  • The first thing i did was the eyes. I used cremes, vanillas and baby pink eyeshadows. I blended and gave my shadow some light color.
  • The next thing was the eye liner. I used a liquid liner to draw a thin line on the upper lid and made sure to add a wing at the tip to give me a cat eye and classier look. I added some liner at the bottom and applied some lashes to make my eyes pop.
  • I then did the eyebrows. I used the same kit by benefit I used in the blog below for my gaga makeup and used the same steps. I made my brows a bit darker than usual to define my arch.
  • Once my eyes were done I did my concealer routine and instead of bronzer I used a pink blush from MAC and applied on the higher part of my cheek bones. I didnt add bronzer because I wanted to keep my skin looking as fair as possible
  • I then applied a bright red lipstick, I used Rocococo by Mac. I didn't use a gloss I thought the lipstick alone looked vintage enough.
And that's it! The red pea coat was the coat I used for the night because it was FREEZING that Halloween but it isn't a requirement.

No comments:

Post a Comment