Monday, August 30, 2010

subtle lady gaga make up

I recently went to lady gaga's monster ball concert and it was AMAZING. It was my second time seeing the pop singer and the first time I went to see her I felt out of place because I was dressed so hmm what's the word, oh yes, average! I loved my outfit don't get me wrong, but it was nothing compared to the leotards, leather, glitter and fishnets all the fabulous people were wearing so I said to myself, the next time I see Gaga I'm going to do something fun with my make up. So August snuck up on me and before I knew it, it was time to see the pop diva in action again. I loved the lightning bolt she had painted on her face in the "just dance" video so I decided to go with that look, as seen on the left, and add my own little twist. It was pretty easy so here's a quick how-to in case you want to get a little bold with an outfit, need some fun ideas for a costume or if you are in fact going to see Gagaloo!

Step 1: moisturize! Like with every make up routine you gotta start on a clean and moisturized canvas. I use Laura Mercier.

Step 2: Prime your eyelids. I use mac's primer paint. I suggest just going in and getting one that is nude or as close to your skin tone as possible. Apply a decent coat over lids. I usually use my finger for this step and always make sure to coat up to the arch of your eye brow because I finde that it defines your brows.

Step 3: Apply a hot pink shadow. Again, I use mac shadow but you can use whatever floats your boat. I apply mine with MAC's eyeshadow brush i usually like to mix colors so after I applied that I used a lighter pink and with MAC's blender brush (a must have tool it does wonders for the eyes) I applied the color to the corner of my lids and blended my two pinks to give it a cleaner look. Then with a creamy shimmery (shimmer optional) color I apply a little of that under my eyebrow arch to give it a sharper effect.

Step 4: So we're almost to that bolt kids! But first we gotta make those eyebrows look a little Italian, like the pop princess's. I love love love Benefit's "Brow's a go-go" kit. So, what i usually do is dip the brush into the wax, which is the pallet on the upper right side and the dip it in the darker shadow and brush it through my brows. I usually do it until it's dark enough to my liking. (Note you can also use the shadows at the bottom of the kit to apply beneath your arch.)

Step 5: So, its finally time to apply that bolt! Now practice makes perfect so you can practice the bolt before your event but it's always good to apply the eye make up before the pièce de résistance. To draw on the bolt I used a lip liner. I drew a triangle above my left eyebrow, point going towards the middle of forehead., I drew a longer, skinner triangle below the corner of my eye and did the same thing from the inner corner of my eye towards the bridge of my nose and towards my cheek. You can check out your face to see if your ok with how your bolt looks. Once you like what you see take a black eyeliner, I used mac's gel liner, and color in that bolt!

Step 6: So, once you have the bolt on your face take a black shadow, mine had some glitter in it, and dust it over the bolt. I added a little of my own flavor to mine and took a turquoise liquid liner and outlined my bolt, I found that it added a little dazzle and helped me clean up the shape.

So, after all that I applied my concealer, bronzer and all that good stuff including my special edition gaga lipstick, by mac! Total prep time 20 minutes, this includes my whole face! Here's the end result good luck little monsters!


No comments:

Post a Comment